Friday 24 January 2014

Boys and Literacy

I'm going to a National Literacy Trust conference on February 12th. It's called How to Close the Literacy Gap for Boys. In Manchester.

I'm going because I want to learn more about engaging boys with reading for pleasure. It's something I try to do every day through the books I write and the school visits I do. But looking at the line up for this conference, I know there's a lot more I can learn. That is why I am going.

I want to listen to Gary Wilson again. I last heard him about five years ago. His ideas, attitude and energy for getting boys into reading had a profound effect on my work.

I also want to see the keynote speaker, David Almond. I have never seen him speak, but my wife goes on about what an amazing speaker he is and there is a lot I could learn from him. Also his books are fab.

It will be good to listen to Di Pumphrey from West Thornton School in London. I visited her school in 2012 and was amazed by all the create ideas they have for engaging children with reading. One of the best schools I've ever seen in that respect. She'll be well worth listening to.

The last speaker I'd like to see is Jim Sells. Jim works for the National Literacy Trust. He runs Premier League Reading Stars. Jim is also my friend. But my huge respect for the work he does in engaging boys with reading is not inspired by our friendship. It is inspired by the passion I see him putting into the work he does. By his ideas. By the way he genuinely cares about each boy that takes part in his literacy projects.

This conference will be really good, I am sure. Look at the line up. There are still some places left. There are places left at the London conference on 13th February too.

See you there?

No comments:

Post a Comment