Monday 27 January 2014

Six Nations Reading

This week will see a lot of media coverage for rugby union. The RBS Six Nations kick off on Saturday with Wales v Italy and France v England. Then Ireland v Scotland on Sunday. All the games are live on BBC TV.

This means it is a good time to promote reading for pleasure through one of the UK's favourite sports.

This week I will be writing a blog each day (in theory) to spread a few ideas I've used and observed around using rugby to promote literacy.

Monday: a review of newspaper and magazine previews

Tuesday: the rugby reading game

Wednesday: how running a fantasy rugby league can encourage reading

Thursday: rugby books for kids

Friday: not sure yet, but something will come up

There is one resource I can direct you to now. I worked with the National Literacy Trust in 2011 to create Love Rugby Love Reading, a toolkit full of ideas for libraries and classrooms to promote reading for pleasure through the game. It's free. It's here.

Tom Palmer is a children's author. Many of his books are about sport, including Scrum, published by Barrington Stoke. www.tompalmer.co.uk

'I wish there had been a book like Tom Palmer’s Scrum! when I was growing up.  Any book that encourages kids to read, and play grass roots rugby is great by me!'
George North, Wales

No comments:

Post a Comment