Monday 27 January 2014

Six Nations Previews

This last weekend saw several previews for the RBS Six Nations published on the news stands.

Some of these guides can be a really useful way of getting children reading for pleasure.

These are the kinds of things I would have looked at - and even read - when I was under 15. I was not a big reader, but they would have got me reading. They are immediate. They are relevant. And, they are about what I am interested in. Here and now.

Now a little older than 15, I had the whole of Sunday afternoon to enjoy some of them, sitting in a café in Leeds as my wife and daughter watched Strictly Live. (By the way, I quite enjoy aspects of Strictly, but two tickets are cheaper than three.)



I chose three previews to review. The Rugby Paper. The Sunday Telegraph. And the official tournament guide.


The Rugby Paper

I love the Rugby Paper. It is weekly, very up to date and only £1.50. In effect its last four or five issues have been previews for the Six Nations, with coverage of preparations, interviews with key players and news of injuries and form.

The twelve-page special pull-out in the 26th January paper has more previews, interviews and fact files. The strength is that it is up-to-date. Very up-to-date. Read with the Rugby Paper itself, it gave me a good idea of what teams might be planning, fearing, hoping for.

There is also an excellent three-page chat between their key reporters, asking who is going to win the Six Nations and why.


The Sunday Telegraph

The Sunday Telegraph is my favourite newspaper for sport. And when it comes to rugby it can hardly contain itself. Rugby union, that is. It was a bit more reserved during the Rugby League World Cup.

The centre piece of the Sunday Telegraph's Six Nations coverage was six interviews with well-known rugby people. JPR Williams on Wales, for example. Each was asked a series of questions about their team's tournament. Key match. Key player. Prediction. And pressure point. Along with that, there are features on Hartley, Warburton and Twelvetrees.

All week the Daily Telegraph will be in overdrive about the Six Nations. Worth keeping up with here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion.


RBS 6 NATIONS 2014: Official Championship Guide

I love official guides to tournaments. They have features on each team, a score chart, great photos, interviews with interesting or emerging players, the thoughts of the game's former heroes. Lots of stuff like that. Something to put on the arm of your sofa for next few weekends. Something to make you feel you are part of what is going on.

This guide has all that, except a score chart. I suppose things like score charts are being replaced by Apps. But it's sad, all the same.

For me the most exciting pages in the official guide are the how-to-get-to-the-stadium pages. I don't normally look at these. I've had no need. I've never seen England play rugby union. Until now! Because today I got confirmation. I am off to the England-Ireland match.

Later in the week the Rugby World magazine Six Nations special will be published. That will be worth a look too. I'll blog about it in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment